Featured Posts

Technology and Me


Business:

Being the web based company that we are, it is important to have an awesome, fully functional and interactive website. Duh! This post is about the ridiculousness that we went through getting the new site up and running.

I’m going to try to make a 6 month long story short, but first some quick history. It all began back in 2009, when I started Precision AT. Being an athletic trainer, I had no (freakin) clue about websites. I was very fortunate to have a graphic designer-sister, who designed our logo, website and email banners. We then hired a web developer, Jen, to make everything work online. She set everything up and created a good-looking, functioning site for us. Anytime I needed an update I’d just contact her and she’d make changes! A year later, we needed a secure, online data base and a place for ATs to store info, sign contracts, and bill us for time worked, etc. Our AT Admin site, which at the time was dubbed Precision AT 2.0, was created from scratch by another developer, Jared. This custom built site provided us with the tools to make the company run way, way, way more efficiently. We no longer needed ATs to print and sign paper contracts and everything was in one place. The website became the backbone of the company and that is the history of the Good OLD Precision AT site.

Onto 2014:

As the company grew and new services were offered, we’ve needed several web updates that I’ve been unable to make myself. Often times we’d need work done fast and Jen and Jared, being freelance workers with real jobs, could not always make the changes right away. A new easy-for-me to update site was necessary. Also we felt it was time for a fresh new look with some new functionality as well. We started in April. My sister came up with a new design that I loved! I wrote all of the new content and text and we finally reached out to our developers in early June. We hoped to launch the new site early in the summer and be fully functional in time for fall scheduling. (haha) Unfortunately, our developers did not have the time to take on the new changes so I asked around and eventually hired a “technologist” from Craigslist who had an entire staff excited to be my full-time technology team. (This was early June) His rates seemed too good to be true and yup… they were. Our project was drawn out for 2 months, I was dissatisfied with his work and in late August, I scrapped the whole thing and started from scratch with my sister using a new user-friendly platform, Wix. The new goal was to launch before winter season, trouble shoot and be ready to have our clients upload their winter schedules right into the site. We worked late nights to make sure everything was just right and in the beginning of October, we paid Wix, contacted our host, 5 Dollar Host, (which ironically costs 100 times its name each year so I’m going to now refer to them as 500 dollar host) and just waited for the changes to