improved mental health literacy may reduce barriers to mental health help-seeking. Secondary school athletic trainers may be the first to identify a mental health concern in practice and may serve as a source for adolescent athletes to improve mental health literacy.
Upon completion of this lecture, participants will be able to:
- Define mental health literacy
- Outline sources of stress unique to the adolescent student-athlete
- Identify stigmas associated with help-seeking
- Evaluate current mental health literacy interventions
- Explore the role of the AT in mental health & wellness